We want to help you manage your energy bill more effectively by offering a variety of options and services. And one of those options we offer to those in need is weatherization. In fact, we weatherize hundreds of our customers’ homes every year.
Local assistance agencies identify candidates for the free weatherization assistance. After that, we determine what each house needs. Those customers received a complimentary package of energy-saving compact fluorescent light bulbs. We also donate replacement batteries for smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors and install detectors if the customers don’t have them already.
What can you do?
We encourage all of our customers to look around their homes to see if there are ways that they can save energy.
- Replacing incandescent light bulbs with energy-efficient compact fluorescent lamps.
- Buying a whole-house fan to cool your house.
- Using dimmers, timers and motion sensors on indoor and outdoor lighting.
- Installing a programmable thermostat to prevent unnecessary heating or cooling, especially at night or when you are away from your home.
- Using caulk, weather stripping, expanding foam and window plastic on your windows and doors.
- Installing outlet gaskets and water pipe insulation.
- Hiring a professional every year to clean and inspect your furnace.